SPIRITUAL DEVELOPMENT STANDING COMMITTEE
Spiritual growth is the very heart of the League and the essence of its existence.
The patroness of the League is the Blessed Virgin Mary under the title of Our Lady of Good Counsel.
2017 Spiritual development memo from Jacqueline Nogier, national chairperson of spiritual development
The duties of the Spiritual Development Standing Committee are:
- Spiritual Growth of Members
- Study of Catholic Teachings
- Role of Women in the Church
- Evangelization and Mission Assistance
- Lay Ministries
- Ecumenism and Interfaith Endeavours
The chairpersons of standing committees shall:
(a) acquire knowledge of and fulfill the duties of the committee assigned
(b) appoint a sub-committee to share the work
(c) consult with chairpersons of other standing committees to maximize team effort and avoid duplication
(d) prepare and promptly submit monthly and annual reports as required
(e) be responsible for long-term planning
The chairperson should:
- refer to communiqués and/or annual reports from all levels
- study and act on League resolutions adopted at each level pertaining to this standing committee
- file with the recording secretary a copy of monthly and annual reports
Book of Life
All Parish Councils should have a Book of Life to record the names of deceased members.
Note: They do NOT have to be a current member to have their name entered into the Book of Life.
REMEMBER TO SUBMIT THEIR NAMES TO NATIONAL OFFICE.
RESOURCES and REFERENCES
Contact national office for information on obtaining the following documents:
- Christifideles Laici – Post Synodal Apostolic Exhortation of His Holiness John Paul II on the Vocation and Mission of the Lay Faithful in the Church and in the World (1989)
- Mulieris Dignitatem – Pope John Paul II’s Apostolic Letter on the Dignity and Vocation of Women (1988)
- Evangelization in the Modern World – Pope Paul VI, 1975 and study guide (CCCB)
- To Speak as a Christian Community – a pastoral message on inclusive language
- National Bulletin on Liturgy
Current addresses for additional resources may be obtained from the chairperson at the next level.
Source: Executive Handbook