Medicine Hat Region hosted the 97th Annual Catholic Women's League Convention for the Calgary Diocese on May 3rd, 4th and 5th, 2019 in beautiful Holy Family Parish with the theme of Care for our Common Home.
170 members, Spiritual Advisors and guests were present on Friday.
Our first speaker on Friday morning was Father Cristino Bouvette who spoke on "Did the Devil Make Me Do it?: Discerning issues of mental health in the light of faith and the supernatural".
Capt. Rev G. P. Van Smeerdyk informed us about "Pastoral Care and Mental Health in the Mental Health in the Military".
After lunch, Dr. Peter Baltuti, gave us some practical tools on living Laudato Si.
Cathy Bouchard led a workshop on CWL Plans Strategically.
Opening Mass and reception were held at beautiful, historic St. Patrick's.
171 people, including 99 delegates, were present on Saturday. We began with the Memorial Service for Deceased Members who have gone before us. In our hearts, let us thank God for the gifts they shared with us.
His Excellency Most Reverend Bishop W. T. McGrattan spoke on "Care for our Common Home - the Church at this Time", specifically in relation to sexual abuse in the church.
We received information about the preparations for the 2019 National Convention, and 2018 annual reports from our Diocesan officers and Regional Chairs. See the 97th Convention Greetings and 2018 Annual Reports Booklet
Our 2019-2021 elected officers are:
- Past President: Janet McPhee
- President: Jan Myhre
- President-Elect: Renee Spohn
- Vice-President: Kathleen Winter
- Secretary: Doreen McMillian
- Treasurer: Jan Morel
- Standing Committee chairs:
- Dorothy Boras - Resolutions
- Dr. Rose Geonzon - Education & Health
- Diane Miedema - Communications
- Marjorie Robinson - Christian Family Life
- Gayleen Hamilton (seconded) - Legislation
- Lorraine Clark (seconded) - Community Life